Sunday, January 18, 2009

His favorite things

My youngest is 6 years old. There is a big gap between him and the older two by nature not by design. He was treated much different than the older two because one I was an older parent and two I had more experience and three, he had these two older siblings to help spoil and entertain him.

He has also had to be more competitive to get attention and what his sees as his.

That being said, he inherited a lot of his brother's old toys. As H would outgrow them, L would get them.

But more than that, L has a different view on toys than H did. EVERYTHING, no joke, is L's fave. Even down to things he gets out of a Happy Meal or gum ball machine. He honestly plays with all his toys.

I have tried numerous times to go through his toys to clean out ones he doesn't play with but as I sort through, I find very few things that he just doesn't play with and usual it is because those few things are broken or something.

On one hand, I love this about him because he has such a great imagination that he can figure out how to make Fisher Price Little people, dinosaurs and Star Wars figures all interact in a way that makes sense. He amazes me!

However, after each birthday and each Christmas, I am finding it harder and harder to buy him things because we have just plain run out of room for his things. This year I tried telling him that Santa needed him to clean out his things to make room for new things. He agreed but we still had a really hard time and in the end, I didn't take out a thing that wasn't broken. Anything broken is out of here.

Does your child have one favorite things or is he/she like mine and loves everything?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee! Sounds like you have a very imaginative young man there! As a kid, I had my favorite toys I guess...I think you saw my post about my favorite stuffed animal (last week's FM).

I also loved Matchbox cars. When we lived in TX, it was warm enough for me to play outside year-round. I didn't have a sandbox, but I used some moist earth in the corner of our yard to dig elaborate tunnels and build bridges for my Matchbox cars to drive around on :-) Yay for imagination!

Karen said...

Bless him - it's so good to hear of children enjoying toys rather than sitting in front of a computer screen all day. I have a rule each year that my lot 'donate' a couple of toys before birthdays and Christmas - primarily to make room. Usually they go to the local doctor surgery for use in the waiting room, so they know that their toys are being used for other children's enjoyment - they cope with it better rather than knowing they're just being thrown out.

CynthiaK said...

That's so great that he enjoys all of the toys! But I can understand the issue of toys everywhere.

My three seem to all share their toys, even with the differences in ages and genders. It's pretty nice, actually. The boys can play with Barbies, big sister can play with trucks. All good!

Anonymous said...

i don't know who you are, just that your a single mom. i dont need to know you, its just that youre a very strong woman to raise your kids by yourself. i have such great respect for single mom's like you. good..day

Anonymous said...

Howdy my friend! I don't mean to be nosey, I know you have a life and all, but I hadn't seen you post in a while so I just hope everything's OK! M

Karen said...

Where you gone?