Monday, December 22, 2008

The Alchemy of Loss

This is my second book review for TLC Books. I hope that I can continue to review books.

I was asked to read The Alchemy of Loss by Abigail Carter. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this or how I would feel or relate to a widow. I choose to not have a spouse any longer. She did not.

From the minute I picked up the book until it was done, I was hooked. Obviously I am reading a book about a widow, a widow of 9/11. I knew how the big story went. I knew that when she got the first phone call from him saying where he was, that it wasn't going to be a happy story; however, I was not expecting to be sucked in the way I was.

As she watched the news, as she waited for news, anything, I was waiting and hoping too. I felt silly because I knew it wasn't going to end with him coming home but she wrote it so well that I was waiting for him with her. I kept thinking was it because I had felt strong emotions over the event as well and so I knew how I felt not even having lost anyone or was it her writing. I am chalking it up to both because the rest of the book was written in much the same way and I was spellbound as I read it.

I also saw how I could relate to a widow in the pages. She was grieving and my own grieving a failed marriage is many of the same steps and emotions. There are many differences of course because I made a choice and I still see my ex.

I definitely would recommend this book to any reader. We can all relate in different ways to Abigail and her journey. I wish her luck.

So check it out!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review! I had heard of this book but hadn't read it. I think you are right - the loss of a spouse and the loss of a relationship might seem to be different, but I bet the grieving process is similar. *Knock wood* I hope I don't have to deal with either one because I don't know if I'd be strong enough.

That's one thing I admire about you, incidentally - I have seen great strength as you have journeyed to find yourself. And for what it's worth, I don't think the journey is ever really done. There is always something new to discover!

TxGambit said...

Margaret, you just made my day! thanks sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for the review for TLC! I thought you might be able to relate to Abby because you're each raising children alone and grieving the loss of a relationship, albeit for different reasons. I'm glad you liked the book. I hope it finds a wide audience.

lincldad said...

look at you