Monday, June 25, 2007

Happy Birthday teenager!

(Computer problems have delayed this posting)

To my teenager and first born baby.

Wow, I cannot believe it has been 13 years since I meet you. In some ways, it seems like I have known you forever and in others, it seems like we have just met. You are very special to me. You are the first person to make me a mom. You were such a good baby and that works to both of our advantages because I had no idea what I was doing! I only thought I was ready for a baby at age 21. Oh I was soooo wrong! There is that commercial that says, "A Baby changes everything." Boy does it!

You were born early. We had a few "Is this it" moments and not knowing better, I would call the nurse and she would send me to Labor and Delivery. But, on June 24, 1994.... I knew you were coming soon even if you weren't due for another 2 weeks. I finished packing my bags, got the car ready and silly as it seems, I put plastic on the bed... under the sheets, just in case.

The morning of June 25, 1994, I woke up at 4:00 and my water had broke. Just a little, just enough that I knew you were really coming. I tried to wake daddy but he had had enough false alarms that he said, "Okay but can you wake me later." back to sleep in went. Thankfully I knew Grandma would be awake (my grandma, your g-grandma). I talked to her and she said to go wake him up! Then she said call the hospital so I did. They said take a shower and then come in. Good call on the shower.

I guess Daddy knew at this point I was serious because he got up. It was pouring rain! And was still dark when we left. It was a long drive to the hospital but we didn't feel rushed because I felt fine.

Got to the hospital, sure enough, you were coming and we still didn't know if you were a boy or girl... I just knew you had to be a girl! I just knew it. Either E or K would be your name.... I kept saying them in my head.

Labor and delivery was really easy for me. You were a small baby. 6 lbs 8 oz and about 20 inches long (I think). So tiny. I was so scared of you. They handed you to me and I just thought they were crazy. I can't hold that, I will break her!

But, I looked at you and just knew you were my K baby.

You grew up so fast. I always talked to you like you were older, more grown. Nana had to remind me often that you were a child but I never listened because you always responded better when I treated you like this.

Sadly you didn't get to be the baby for long. I got pregnant with H when you were just 10 months old. I had a lot of first time mommy guilt over that one but was happy by the second child.

I just enjoyed you everyday and often miss that little girl. But, I am so proud of the person you are becoming each day. You are so special to me and I know I would not be able to get through the last few years without you. You are my rock and that is such a burden for a child to have but its true.

I hope that you had a good day with your dad. I missed you very much but was glad to hear the joy and happiness in your voice on Monday.

Happy Birthday, my girl!

No comments: