Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Six Flags Astroworld

Astroworld has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. It closed after this past season and it isn't just closed but GONE. That's right where coasters and cotton candy machines used to be is just dirty and weeds now. It will soon be apartments, shops and whatever else they can think to fit on that land.

I remember the first time I heard of Astroworld. My parents and my Aunt were going. I was just a kid, not sure my exact age between 5-7. They were young too. I just thought they were so cool and couldn't wait to be big enough to go too. Heck maybe I was but I just thought it was for big people.

Then a year or two or three (I'm not sure)later I was going to Astroworld. Oh my gosh, I wish I could put to words the way I felt. Excitement, nervousness and well....excitement! The sights, the sounds, the smells. It was wonderful. The rumble of coasters, the scream of excited/scared people decending over the hill of the Texas Cyclone and then just going full speed around turns and up/down.

I rode my first rollar coaster, saw my first concert (George Strait), stood in line for an hour or more just to ride new rides and old favorites (Greased Lightening and The Texas Cyclone). Went to Fright Nights (Halloween of course). Made memories with my parents, my brothers, cousins, friends, boyfriends and even my now ex-husband. I never did get the chance to take my own kids... that was the plan for this year but too late now.

Over the years, rides changed, games changed, foods changed, people changed, but the excitement was always the same, the sounds, the smells were always the same.

I drive past this site everyday now on my way to my temp job. Yesterday traffic was bad and I was stopped there for a long time. I just can't believe its gone. On the bridge from the parking lot to the park there are still a few Halloween Globes over the lights from the Last Fright Nights.

But you know what isn't gone, the memories.

No comments: