Sunday, January 21, 2007

Me in the mirror

I often look at myself in the mirror and wonder, "What do others see when they look at me?"

Now I don't think I'm super-model pretty, heck I have nowhere near the body for it. In fact three kids and a lot of emotional eating, my body is just plain a mess. I do, however, think I’m cute. Love my hair most of the time.

Anywho, what do I see when I look in the mirror? A mom first. I love this job. I love being a mom. A good mom, not great but good. Her kids look up to her and think she is funny. She would do anything for them, anything in the world.

Next, there is the daughter. This role she has played since birth and its kind of weird because though she is nearly 34 years old, she often still just feels like that little girl. Sometimes she wants her mom, sometimes her dad. And, because she is a daughter, she just happens to be a sister too. She loves her brothers so much. And because of this, she is an aunt too. She has 3 nephews (soon to be 4) and 2 nieces. She is a granddaughter, a niece and a cousin. I'm sure all these people look at me different too.

She is a friend. She doesn't really know what her friends think of her but she has been told she is a good listener and a good friend. Most of them know she is there for them in a heartbeat.

Then there is the girl she has always been. She likes to laugh, is kind of funny and is a bit goofy. Generous almost to a fault. Caring and takes on other's problems as her own. Often putting other's feelings and needs above her own. Good in a crisis, bad after the crisis. Loves animals and children. Loves music and art, though she can't do either. Tries to find good in every situation, and tries to keep her humor even when stressed. Sometimes she seems more stressed than she feels but I think that is because it can be pushed out rather than being kept inside.

And really there is so much more. But, no one knows her as well as she knows herself….

Everyday I look at myself in the mirror and say, "I love you more than anyone else loves you." Then send a kiss to the mirror me. Smile and try to make the best of yet another wonderful day.

2 comments:

Esmerelda said...

GOOD FOR YOU!

I like me just fine, mostly. I know I can change whatever I want physically, it is my head that has growing up to do. I just don't like me enough to handle the rejection.

TxGambit said...

Just start looking at yourself in the mirror and saying the words. You would be surprised how much better you feel.

That is all I did. I would just say it and then try to believe it and live it.