Saturday, August 16, 2008

Working hard on my blog

I have been reading, searching, reading, searching to find new things that I can use to make this blog bigger, better and get me some more traffic.

I ran across this on Problogger.com. I just found this website and I have a little crush on it now. It rocks. It is like the best of everything I have been wanting to/needing to know all rolled into one easy to read website.

Anyway, the link above says, basically, that only 1% of readers comment (give or take). Wow. That makes sense, since my number per day is much higher than my comments.

My biggest hits are Voodoo Doll Curse and What makes a man sexy.... Interesting. These weren't even that well written nor popular when I wrote them but a lot of people are searching for this. (Also single mom fingering herself or mom fingering herself..... Hmmm, yeah that isn't on this blog but thanks for stopping by....) But anyway these topics are highly searched for.

With that in mind, I am actively working on driving more traffic here but I know that just getting them here is only part of the battle, I need to write better and on more interesting topics. I need something to keep them here. I need to learn what those things are.

But what do I have to do, read on....

I do have a niche which is something people are looking for. Not just random crap. But when they come here, I need them to know what they will find. Not like Voodoo curses, that has nothing to do with being a Single Mom or dating or raising kids, ex husband and a new stepmom. These are the things I need to focus the most on. However, I think adding things that interest me, catch my attention or in other ways shape who I am, can be interesting and need to be added every once in a while. I think this just helps my readers and friends learn more about me. I'm totally like an onion. I have many layers. I add a little flavor to your life and I can sometimes make ya cry. (okay maybe not that last one)

But what else do I need to do, read on.....

I have openly admitted I need to let the inside voice out. This is forthcoming as I work behind the scenes on some ideas and tweak my writing. In addition, I also need to work on my writing style, which I think has evolved a lot since I started but still needs some work, like writing more with my inside voice and working on my vocabulary. I have thought about rewriting/republishing a few things from my past that I thought were good but I didn't really have the readers back then. I am not so arrogant that I think that people go back too often in archives.

The other thing I am working on is a new blog design and layout. Something a bit more me! Something that screams "Single Mom Finding Herself!" I just don't know how long it will take to get it together.... I still need to learn just HOW to do that.

And, last but not least, I have also read that I need to identify what my goals are with blogging.... Well besides finding myself, sharing my struggles with raising three kids, dating and depression/anxiety, my other main goal is to make a little money. I will be adding some more ads. I realize this can make it look crowded and almost seem like a push to click here, click here, click here! but I am hoping that I will add items and products of interest to most so maybe we can help each other out, especially with the holidays coming, maybe some ads about shopping can help. I know I shop online! It saves a lot of time and even money.

If you have a tip for me or ideas on how I can make this blog better, I would love to hear those! Or if you have any words of encouragement, leave me a comment. Thanks!

1 comment:

Charlene Juliani said...

I think you are doing a great job with your blog.

I sometimes think I need or want more traffic too. But's its not the traffic, its the comments that let me know who the traffic was that I want, make sense?

I know some people read and just don't leave comments or email me instead. My sister for instance reads all the time, but hardly leaves comments. But she will email me about stuff I wrote LOL!

I try to leave comments on blogs I read hoping they will return the favor. Oh well, if you ever figure it out, let me know!!!!